Papey is the largest island in the East, approx. 2 km², therefore directly east of Hamarsfjörður and was the only island inhabited, but now deserted. There was one farm and a church from 1902, which is an outbuilding from Djúpivogur. The highest point of the island, Hellisbjarg, lies 58 m above sea level. The island is uneven, and moorland and the reception was great. There is a lot of bird life in the rocks and eider ducks on land. The island is lush and at least 124 species of higher plants have been found there.
The largest of the small islands, around the main island, is Arnarey, which was connected to it from Eiði by cable car, but Eiðið was connected to the main island by another cable car. The lighthouse in Papey was built in 1922. It is believed that the island was inhabited by Irish monks, popes, when the settlement of the Norse people began in Iceland. A few ruins, called Papatættur, can be seen, and there is also Írskihóll. No significant antiquities have been found in Papey, except for a few fragments of small wooden crosses, which were found in 1927. In 1972, Kristján Eldjárn excavated a farm from the 10th century, called Goðatóttir. There was both a living room and a cowshed, but few things were found.
Benefits were high in Papey, so the inhabitants have komizt well off, some even became rich. Just north of the town Bjarg towers a large and beautiful hill, which is called Einbúi. It is said to be a church of the underworld. It lives in an expressive cliff above Árhöfn, which is to the west of the island, where the main rocks are. This rock is called Kastali. The secret people there have always been allowed to be at peace and at peace with the people. Up on Hellisbjarg, which is the highest on the island, 58 m, stands the sailing lighthouse, which was built in 1922. From there is a good view to all eight Houses have been maintained on the island and used in the summer.